For the 5-year BS/MS program in Biology, please click here.
The 5-year combined BS/MS program in Biology/Bioinformatics (BSBIO/MSBINF) is a prestigious opportunity for top Biology undergraduates. The 5-year combined BSBIO/MSBINF provides a MS degree in as little as one year for advanced, highly-qualified Biology undergraduate students interested in careers in computational biology and genomics. The program will enable students who otherwise might not get a Masters degree to compete better on the job market. The BSBIO/MSBINF program addresses a growing demand for scientists who can manage and analyze high-throughput biological data. Students who complete the 5-year program would save substantially on the tuition cost of the MS Bioinformatics program, by being enrolled for only 2 semesters rather than 3 or 4 semesters. The BSBIO/MSBINF is also a very good opportunity for students who want to build a gap year into their academic program after they graduate with their BS but before starting medical or professional school.
The BSBIO/MSBINF is aimed at students who have a strong interest in computational biology and genomics. Students who wish participate in the BSBIO/MSBINF will complete their undergraduate BS degree in Biology and then spend one year completing their MS in Bioinformatics.
Advantages of the Program
- There is no application fee and you do not need to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) for admission to the program.
- You can use 6 hours of graduate electives from your undergraduate study toward both your B.S. and M.S. degree.
- You only need one letter of recommendation, rather than three required for the regular application.
- There is no obligation to complete your master's degree if your plans change.
Application requirements and how to apply
- You must be a Biology undergraduate student.
- Apply after completion of 30 credits but before completion of 90 credits, including transfer and advanced placement credits. If you have more than 90 credits, you will be considered for the program on a case-by-case basis.
- Have a GPA of 3.3 or higher in courses required for the BS in Biology.
- At the time of application, students must have completed CS1301 or CS1371, and either completed or registered for Multivariable Calculus (Math 2550, 2551, 2561, or 2605).
- Continuation into the MS degree requires the student complete the BS requirements with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher, and complete the MS requirements (37 cr.) with an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher.
- It is recommended that students with an interest in the BSBIO/MSBINF seek the advice of their research advisor, academic advisor, or the graduate office before submitting an application.
- For more information on the timeline, please click here.
- To apply, submit a standard graduate application at http://www.grad.gatech.edu/apply-now. Students applying will need to write a short essay explaining their purpose in obtaining an MS degree.
- Several courses (BIOL 6150 and BIOL 6000+) required for the 5-year degree can be used as Biology and Free Electives, however undergraduate students that opt out of the MSBINF program after 90 credit hours may require course substitutions to graduate.
- For questions on undergraduate courses, please contact your academic advisor
- For questions on graduate courses, please contact Lisa Redding (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- All other questions can be sent to BSMS@biosci.gatech.edu