As the Lab Technician II for the school of biology, my primary duties are:
- Managing the set-up of introductory and upper-level labs by preparing all cultures, reagents, and media needed, and assisting the lab manager in ordering equipment and supplies.
- Train faculty and laboratory teaching assistants in new procedures; review lab protocols with instructors and teaching assistants to make sure everyone understands how the lab will proceed.
- Research and develop new laboratory experiments and write protocols in microbiology, genetics, and cell biology
- Consult with students to develop their independent experiments for senior research project lab.
- Manage the chemical inventory using Chematix software; update facilities management to assist in maintaining equipment inventories.
- Maintain stocks of all microbial cultures, fungal cultures, and mammalian cell cultures.
- Perform multiple tasks such as transformations, transfections, plasmid isolations, genomic DNA extractions, setting up and running PCR reactions, primer design, electrophoresis, flow cytometry, fluorescent microscopy, dissection microscopy, compound microscopy, restriction digests, calibration and maintenance of lab equipment, washing glassware, cleaning up and setting up labs, and troubleshooting experimental protocols.
As the newly appointed president of the Bioscience Graduate Student Association, (BSGSA,) I hope to create an organization that will inspire, motivate, and encourage our graduate students to foster an environment more conducive to higher learning.