NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: This story was first published in the Georgia Tech News Center on March 10, 2017.
Following Dean Gary May’s confirmation as the next chancellor at the University of California Davis, Provost Rafael L. Bras has named a search committee to launch a national and international search for a new dean of the College of Engineering.
The 15-member search advisory committee is comprised of faculty and staff, as well as the current undergraduate and graduate student body presidents. The committee will be chaired by Julia Kubanek, associate dean for Research, College of Sciences; professor of Biological Sciences; and professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Jennifer Herazy, associate provost for Operations, will serve as search director.
The new dean of the college must continue and accelerate the College’s pursuit of scholarship and excellence,” said Bras. “The critical work of the search committee will include identification and vetting of candidates that can bring the energy and intellectual leadership that will be required for that accelerated effort. I appreciate the committee’s dedication to the process as we identify the College’s next leader.”
An External Advisors Group is being formed to help guide the search process. More information about this group will be posted when available.
Two town halls will be scheduled in April for faculty, staff, and students to provide feedback on the candidate search.
Applications and nominations will be received until the dean is selected, but interested parties are encouraged to submit their application materials by April 30, 2017, to ensure optimal consideration.
Members of the search committee include:
- Julia Kubanek (Chair), Associate Dean for Research, College of Sciences; Professor of Biological Sciences; and Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Jennifer Herazy (Search Director), Associate Provost for Operations
- Adjo Amekudzi-Kennedy, Associate Chair, Global Engineering Leadership & Research Development; Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Samuel Graham, Associate Chair for Research; Rae S. and Frank H. Neely Professor; Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Beki Grinter, Professor of Interactive Computing, College of Computing
- Emily Howell, Director of Finance and Administration, College of Engineering
- Ravi Kane, Garry Betty/V Foundation Chair and GRA Eminent Scholar in Cancer Nanotechnology; Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Pinar Keskinocak, William W. George Chair and Professor, Industrial & Systems Engineering; ADVANCE Professor, College of Engineering; Co-Director, Center for Health and Humanitarian Systems
- Nagela Nukuna, Undergraduate Student Body President; Industrial Engineering Student
- Julian Rimoli, Goizueta Junior Professor, Associate Professor of Aerospace Engineering
- Justin Romberg, Associate Chair for Research; Schlumberger Professor; Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- David Scripka, Graduate Student Body President; Materials Science and Engineering Student
- Meisha Shofner, Associate Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
- Phil Spessard, Associate Vice President for Development
- Garrett Stanley, Carol Ann and David D. Flanagan Professor, Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Brandi Foley-Rodgers (ex officio), Director, Human Resources, Office of the Provost
- Mary Thomas (search support), Program Manager, Office of the Provost
A full position description, search committee roster, and ongoing search updates can be found at provost.gatech.edu/dean-engineering.